Monday, January 28, 2013

Uneven Exchange

We've been slowly gathering new furnishings for our house here.  Our favorite site is www.trademe.co.nz.  It's an online auction site.  I have gotten really addicted to it.  We have purchased beds, beside tables, dining table, etc.  My favorite purchase so far has been a leather two seater couch and armchair for $37.  I'm sure we will be getting what we pay for but hey, it will stand up to kids!  Paint that sucker with Kool-Aid and lollipops, it only cost $37!

Gary's aunt and uncle are also moving to a new place and they have been extraordinarily generous.  They gave us a sleeper couch and loveseat, mirror, heater, bedside table, queen bed and dressers.  This furniture will NOT be painted with Kool-Aid and lollipops. They also stored it for us and rented a van to help move it.  We are so grateful!

So Saturday when Gary's uncle moved our stuff over to our house, I made lunch.  I made some really tasty burgers but my favorite was this very easy salad.  Probably to make it really fancy you should do some extra steps so I've included those plus my own steps

Grilled Peach Salad

4 small to medium peaches, skin on
1 bunch of arugula (or if you're lazy like me, one of those mixed-leaf bags of salad)
1 ball fresh mozzarella (or if you can't find it, like I couldn't, then a round of goat cheese)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 batch fresh homemade balsamic vinaigrette (or if you can't be bothered, like me, a bottle of Newman's Own Lite Vinaigrette)
Salt and Pepper

Wash and halve the peaches.  Make sure they're ripe!  Hard peaches won't do it for you.

Go heat up your grill.  Stack the coals on one side of the grill so you get some direct heat and indire-

Who am I kidding?

Get out a grill pan or plain griddle.  Heat it up on high heat on the stove. Put the peaches, cut side down, and sear until caramelized on one side.  Flip and sear again on other side.  You'll have one caramelized spot on the peach fuzz.  That's all you need.  The key is a yielding, warm peach; it doesn't have to be sauteed all over.

Wash your salad mix and dry thoroughly.  Place in bowl.  Crumble goat cheese on top, or tear up your mozzarella and place it on top.  Put red onion on top.  Toss.  Put warm peaches on top of salad.  Serve! 

I always leave the salad dressing aside so people can add it as they choose.  This was a tasty summer lunch salad!  I would imagine grilled chicken would taste great on this as well.

I wish I had a picture of this to post.  Use your imagination!

Eat in your sun room, looking out at the bay.  You know, as you do.

1 comment: