Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Electronic Mysteries

We came, we saw, we finally got into our apartment about 7 hours after we were supposed to.  We got unpacked within a day and have a mountain of suitcases.  It is literally as tall as I am, and totally empty. 

So after a day of eating take-out (adjust the vocabulary; it is now take-away!), we went to the grocery store and did some preliminary shopping. 

However, now I have some formidable adversaries in my way; appliances.  They apartment staff graciously left information about how to operate them; they remain a mystery.  I think I have the dishwasher figured out, although the last batch of dishes came out a touch greasy.  The washer and dryer have a step-by-step guide that even (or maybe in my case, especially) an idiot can follow.

The oven and the microwave oven are the real mysteries.  I have to concede defeat to the microwave.  There is no way to figure this puppy out.  I pretty much put a plate of leftovers in there, hit whatever buttons I fancy, and it either comes out or it doesn't.  Trial and error, baby!

This microwave is so mysterious, Rush should write a song about it, and film a video with swirling fog.

The oven has several mysterious pictures on it.  All I can figure is that if you want to bake a cake, there is one setting.  If you want to bake and run the fan, that is another setting.  And then there are about 6 other settings that I have no clue about.  Additionally, there is a magical combination that actually turns the oven on that I am drawing about 2/3ds on.

One thing I love, though, is the outlets.  Seriously.  So, you plug in your appliances; then each little outlet as an on/off switch.  So if you plug in your phone to charge overnight and come back the next morning like one adult male of this household did, and say, "Hmmm, that's strange, I got almost no charge last night" I can nonchalantly say, "Did you remember to turn the plug on?"  Practice your dirty looks now for when I brightly say that to you.  I can take it.

These cute little outlets are like, "Oh, noooo!"
 

Next experiment! - how to get a full flush on the toilet!

1 comment: