Sunday, May 12, 2013

Quality Time

Now that we've gotten into a routine, I find that I get a lot of really awesome one-on-one time with my kids.  Each are in different sports and sometimes those games conflict. 

Typically when I'm with the kids, they are arguing - the typical stuff.  One of them is on another's side, one said that she hates the other (usually it is Rowan doing the hating), one of them looked at the other the wrong way, nefarious schemes to hide a new toy when we return home, something notable to be seen is not viewable from someone's own personal window, etc.

However, the world opens up when I'm on my own with one of the kids.  Rowan loves to accompany me to the farmers' market and to the shopping center.  In fact, she has made it a strict rule that only she is allowed to go to the farmers' market with me.  No boys allowed.  I think she likes it because I let her get something when we see the Hello Kitty lady.  She's a random lady that imports Hello Kitty fabric from Japan and makes skirts, dresses and purses from it.  She also sells handmade, crocheted Hello Kitty dolls.  Pretty much the only reason to visit a farmers' market. But I digress.

Rowan will chat with me for the duration of our trip.  She could just run a monologue; our times together are mostly her singing me songs from school, telling me the proper way to say things, telling me about what happens at school, with her friends, etc.  I thoroughly enjoy her insights.  She usually sings the New Zealand national anthem in Maori and English at some point.

Seth has deep questions and opinions to discuss.  On Saturday on our way to his rugby game, we talked about skeletons, nuclear bombs, why some countries hate other countries, and where kidneys are located in our bodies.  He was surprised that his kidneys are not located "down by [his] penis."  Always thinking, that guy!  Actually, thats where I would have thought they were, too, at his age.  Not by his, but mine. 

No, wait, that came out all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment